Tuesday, May 25, 2004

 

A Slice of T-Ball

I had an interesting experience at T-Ball practice the other day. Something that has me thinking about how things have changed.

I am a volunteer coach for my 6-year-old's T-Ball team. There are 1000 funny stories about this team that I will share later. But, the other day, I needed some help at third base. The kids were learning how to run the bases and I wanted a parent to watch to make sure they were touching third before they ran home. When I asked the parents as they sat along the 3rd base line if I could have some help, not one volunteered. No one moved. I asked again and was met with silence.

This really affected me. This image of detachment called for interpretation. Were the parents thinking "Does he mean me?", "Who does he think he is? I paid my $30!", "I'm too tired to get up." These and other question filed my brain.

Before I bore you with my explanation, I must first tell you I am a high school mathematics teacher who is discussed by the lack of respect and motivation some of my students demonstrate. This T-Ball experience melded with that history to formulate an explanation.

I believe parents see T-Ball as the means to teach their children instead of a forum to play. One boy on our team did not know what hand his glove went on. Another, did not know if they batted right or left. The boys and I figured these answers out together as the parent watched in their chairs. Watched in their chairs!

The most influential teacher in EVERY KIDS LIFE IS THEIR PARENT! Not a coach, teacher, or priest.

I want to be that influence on my kids.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?