Monday, August 30, 2004

 

Give Them What They Want

I have this vision of being a well read, being able to refer to great literature in dealings with people. It makes you look smart and who doesn't want to look smart.

That said, I have little time. Even this summer when I did not have a paying job I didn't have enough time to read as much as I wanted. Nate is a walking accident, Mike is potty training so needs a reminder every few minutes not to crap in his pants, and Anthony just needs someone to constantly look at him. Now that school has started, unscheduled time is even more rare.

I also have an addiction. I love computer games. For some male reason, I find myself spending WAY TOO much time playing Gothic II, Madden 2004, or just solitaire. Why the hell do I play solitaire? It must be an addiction.

I have therefore come up with a way around these roadblocks. Currently I am reading eight strategically selected books. These books have been picked books from eight different genres: autobiography, travel, science fiction, fantasy, modern fiction, classic, political, and history. I have then placed these books all over our home so if a situation ever gives me 15 sec. of free time I can grab a book and read a sentence or two. Because these books are so different I do not have much trouble mixing them up.

This system has given me a taste of lots of literature without having to spend alot of time reading. This system also helps me fill that uncomfortable silence when you are forced to meet someone new. I can now always ask someone what they are reading and depending on their response I can tell them what I am reading.

Here could be a typical conversation:

Charlie: "So what are you reading?"

Charlie's Boss: "I am actually reading (fill in any book here)."

Charlie: "How cool! I am actually reading a (fill in any genre) book too. I have just started (fill in appropriate book). "

Last week I had to go to a district meeting and talk with 500 people I did not know. At one point the presenter told us to find a person we did not know and introduce yourself, she then blew a whistle and told us to do it again. This repeated four or five times.

I had the same conversation with every person.

Comments:
I think you can answer the same to both situations.

Scratch your head and say, "Duh"
 
You have made my week with that last post for several reasons. First, I can’t believe anyone actually reads anything I write except my family and Tim. Second, I get to tell someone what I am reading.

Thanks on both accounts.

What I am reading, by Charlie Cauthorn:

-1- Reading Lolita In Tehran, by Azar Nafisi. This is a Memoir in Books ranging from Lolita to Emma. It also talks a lot about life in Iran and how women are treated. Azar subtly compares life in Iran with each novel. I very much like how it is written and it gives me insight into books that I have already read.

-2- The Phoenix Guards, by Steven Brust. Steven Brust is one of my favorite Fantasy writers. His style varies greatly each book he writes so I don’t get board with him. This book is written like Alexandre Dumas’ Three Musketeers.

-3- The Old Patagonian Express, by Paul Theroux. This is a travel log about a trip from Boston to Patagonia South America by way of the railroad. Not great so far.

-4- Redeye, by Clyde Edgerton. Clyde Edgerton wrote one of the funnies books I have ever read, Killer Diller. He is a southern writer that makes me long to be back in Texas. It is a good read so far.

-5- Animal Farm, by George Orwell. I like to be reading a classic and this is one I have never read. How is that possible I don’t know?

-6- The Woman Lit By Fireflies, by Jim Harrison. My friend JT recommended this book. Said Harrison was a great writer, it seems good so far.

-7- Inside: A Public and Private Life, by Joseph A. Califano, Jr. This is an Autobiograph about a political insider during the Johnson – Carter presidencies. I enjoy political books; it makes me feel that people in power have some clue as to what is going on.

I would love to hear what you are reading as well. I always love to hear about good books!

Thanks for the tip about who can post, I will change it immediately.
 
I can't find your blog. Can you give me the address again?
 
I am so pleased you commented. I did find your blog and I am so excited about your posts. You have a easy style of writing that makes me want to see what you see in the books you had listed.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?