Sunday, August 22, 2004

 

Mike and the State Fair

About three weeks ago, my youngest son and I were reading the Sunday paper. We weren't actually reading the paper, we were both just looking at the pictures. Mike found a rather plain section with a pig, a cow, and a few people on it and asked me what it was. I told him it was a picture of the State Fair where people go to see animals and eat french fries.

What I didn't tell him was that it was also a place people go to get sunburn and walk until their feet swell to the size of a prize winning watermelon.

I was distracted as I was looking at the pictures of the Olympics and did not notice that Mike was studying this section with great intensity. If I had noticed, I would have immediately distracted him by doing a push up and snatched the section from him. He stated asking some more questions;

"What is this?"

"Fireworks."

"What is this?"

"Oh, I think it is a milk shake."

"Who is that?"

"Well, actually, that is a person made out of butter."

It was then I realized what was happening and it was too late to turn back. I tried to distract, no good. I tried to tickle, no go. I called for Sarah, again, nothing.

Needless to say, ever morning for three weeks, Mike wakes up asking how many more days until "Fireworks!". And, as all fathers who loves their sons more than anything must reply, "Just 5 more days honey."

Comments:
I actually saw, and I'm not lying, fried candy bar on a stick!

The latest at the fair was fried batter dipped corn on the cob on a stick. We searched and searched but never found it.

Drat!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?