Friday, September 24, 2004

 

The Cycle of Life

(I wrote this November 28, 2001. Michael was 2 months old.)

The other day at ~ 11 PM I was watching Michael lying in his crib. He was watching his Winnie-the-Poo mobile and his arms were moving sporadically. As his hand kept hitting his face, I realized that he was trying to suck his thumb. At that moment I was so proud that he had figured out what he could do with his hands. I was then struck by how hard he was working and how hard it was for him to do it.

At that moment I pictured him playing his first T-Ball game stumbling to catch a ball and trying to get a hit; his first swim meet, false starting, swimming with his head up, and missing the wall; writing his first paper at school not knowing where to start.

Then, for a split second, I saw him changing his first diaper with that same clumsiness. Giving his son his first bath worried that he was doing it wrong. Coming home from work to see his son's first snowman and calling his dad to tell him what incredible thing his grandson had just done. Working so hard to do something so new.

Life is amazing sometimes.

Comments:
Charlie, That was beautifully written, and so true! Your boys are lucky to have such a loving, attentive dad.

Kate
 
Thanks.

They blow me a way just about everyday!
 
I think your friend meant it was over for us BECAUSE we have kids.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?