Tuesday, September 28, 2004

 

Homecoming

I let my girls out of practice early to participate in the homecoming parade. They were very excited to have a day off. I have been very hard on them this year. Hard in a good way, pushing them to endurance limits that they have never been before.

When I got home, Sarah and I thought watching the homecoming parade would be fun. We got on our bikes and biked to the route.

We were early and got to witness first hand the growing excitement of the parade. People appear out of nowhere, deserted street become lively before your eyes. The boys felt the energy and were getting very excited.

The parade started with a Fire and Ladder Truck. The candy being tossed from the drivers put my boys over the edge. Sarah and I were franticly pulling the boys back from the street. It is incredible watching the focus a 3 year old has when candy is involved.

I knew the girl's float was coming when a Tootsie Roll hit me in the head. As I looked up, I was pelted by several Root Beer Dum Dums. That was when the screeching started from my boys. Candy was everywhere. Mike was shoveling it into his mouth with out taking the wrappers off. Anthony was double fisting handfuls into his bag, Nate was picking through the pile looking for chocolate. Kids who I didn't ever know were thanking me for standing next to them.

When the wrappers settled and the Girls Swim Team Float (minus their candy) moved on, I could help but ask Sarah if I had been working them too hard.

Na!
Comments:
That's right, I do remember. It is amazing how closely related traditions can be.
 
Tell me about it. My head has a big welt on it from that Dum Dum.
 
Charlie here on a different computer and therefore the anonymous user.

I love comments. Thanks for the comments. I want to post something on A Prayer for Owen Meany but first I want to reread it. There are some books that open my eyes. The first time I read Breakfast of Champions I was completely blown away. The idea of writing a book that did not following a sequential order amazed me. Fifth Business transported me to another time. Robertson Davis was such an amazing writer and his off center story drew me in. John Irvin did the same with A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was so bizarre yet founded I loved it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?