Sunday, May 04, 2008

 

Searching For Bobby Fischer

I watch this move for the fourth time last night. It moves me every time I watch it.

I think I am so affected because the child actor is so wonderful. The first time I watched the movie, when it was over, I just thought how great the movie was. The next time I watched the movie, I started to understand that one reason I loved this movie was how natural the child acted. I did not feel for one moment that he was acting.

There is a scene in the movie where the mother and father are arguing about being too hard on their son and the mother says, "He's not afraid of losing. He's afraid of losing your love. How many ball players grow up afraid of losing their fathers' love every time they come up to the plate?". Dad replies, "All of them!".

This hit right at the heart. I want my sons to excel, I want to give my sons every opportunity to shine, but I do not want them to be afraid of losing my love. And yet, is that what it takes to make your children great?

I hope not.
Comments:
I think the things that make people great are beyond mortal's control. Like my father was a great minister. Everyone in town said so. One thing that shaped him was that his own father died of the flu when he was a young boy. That event made his character and its not something I'd wish on anyone. Maybe my kids will do great things and maybe not but either way I want them to have a good childhood....and kids are kind of self-programmed learning robots anyway so hopefully in about 20 years or so they'll be able to find thier own way.
 
I know that at some point my children are going to look back and know that I did not have a clue what I was doing which may explain the "Salty" cinnamon toast.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?