Wednesday, July 22, 2009

 

Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band: Outer South

Charlie said: I know what you are thinking, "Where in the hell did Charlie hear about this album?". Truth be told, I never have heard of Conor Oberst & The Mystic Valley Band until Tina plopped it on my lap last Thursday. After seeing I had no idea what I was given, Tina told me that Conor Oberst was the lead singer of Bright Eyes.

I was still lost.

Actually, Tina introduced me to Bright Eyes awhile back and I like them. Conor Oberst sounds very much like the Violent Femmes and he writes some smart quirky lyrics.

In "Outer South", I was surprised not only to hear the familiar voice of Conor Oberst but also several others. After some research I found out that Conor only sings on 10 of the 16 songs. This bothered me at first but after a second listen I started to enjoy the variety. It makes for a clumsy album but as Sarah says "It's not terrible."

My favorite songs are Slowly (Oh So Slowly), White Shoes, Ten Women, and Nikorette. I am going to give this album a Promote It on the Tina/Charlie Promote It, Lend It, Deny It scale because I believe Bright Eyes and Conor Oberst needs to be discovered.

Tina said: I like Bright Eyes. I like Conor Oberst and The MysticValley Band.

Charlie, I agree with you when you say that the CD is a little choppy, as the lead vocals switched back and forth. I also agree with Sarah when she says that it’s not necessarily a bad thing. It provides a nice check to see if you’re listening, and when an album has 16 songs, sometimes you need a wake up reminder.

It’s hard too not like Conor Oberest and the Mystic Valley Band. Especially when the opening line of one of their songs (Nikorette) is; “I’m just trying stay human being, sitting in the sun eating ice cream”. This line makes me smile inside. What I like about Conor Oberst is that his albums, often times have a hint of bluegrass intermingled throughout the album. I hear this in Big Black Nothing, and Spoiled (which I think is about being an only child), However there are some moments where this band provides some rockin’ guitar riffs, as in Roosevelt Room, Air Mattress and Slowly (Oh, So Slowly). I hear Wilco, Fleet Foxes, and a hint of something from the 1960’s.

On the Charlie/Tina Promote it, Lend it, Deny it rating scale. I give this album a promote it; once you listen you will realize that there is something for everyone.
Comments:
You have lapped Tina. No IDEA where you get all this energy. (again, going to listen to one song)
 
You should have a one suggested listening song for those uninitiated.
 
P, great idea. My suggestion is Slowly (So Slowly). A bit country (Son Volt) mixed with Punk (Violent Femmes).
 
I listened to it and yeah you are right. Definitely hear the Violent Femmes in his voice, that big riff between words sounds something straight out of J Giles Band to me, and then a little country.
 
Son Volt is very county as well and I agree. Good call P!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?