Monday, July 20, 2009

 

The Hold Steady: Stay Positive

Charlie said: “Stay Positive” is Hold Steady’s forth album but the first I have listened to. Four of the five members are from Minneapolis/St. Paul which explains the lyrics in several of their songs. I kind of like hearing St. Paul mentioned in a song which is very Texan of me. Texans love to hear their state mentioned regardless what light it is in. Minnesotans cannot stand to be criticized. For instance, I laughed hardily at the Minnesotan accent in Fargo. Several of my work mates were offended and refused to watch the movie.

During my first listen I try to take in the album just to get an initial impression and see where that takes me. The first thought I had for Hold Steady was Hootie & The Blowfish. The lead singer, Craig Finn, has the same brooding big voice and the “Hold Steady” is driven by guitar and drums.

I liked the songs “Constructive Summer”, “Sequestered in Memphis”, “Stay Positive”, and “Ask Her For Adderall / Cheyenne Sunrise / Two Handed Handshake”. The songs tell interesting stories that was a cross between the Replacements and Bruce Springsteen.

After the first two songs Hold Steady changed from storytelling to preachy. I hated the song “One For the Cutters” which highlighted a harpsichord. What the hell. “Navy Sheets” I think was a failed attempt to sound like the Cars. Again, why?

I was not blown away by the songs I liked and there were some songs that I could not stand. Therefore on the Tina/Charlie Promote It, Lend It, Deny It I would give it a mediocre Lend It.

Tina said: First off all Charlie, I’m having a difficult time seeing the connection between the Hold Steady and Hootie and the Blowfish. Hootie and the Blowfish could possiblybe one of most painful bands to listen to from the 1990’s. I would never compareThe Hold Steady to the washed-up, painful sounds of Hootie and theBlowfish. However, I too have mixed feeling about The Hold Steady 4th Album Stay Positive.

I recently saw The Hold Steady in concert at the Basilica Block Party. The band performed on the small stage, and even though the concert was outdoors the venue provided a very intimate setting. Prior to attending the concert, Ididn’t know much about The Hold Steady. I had heard a couple of their songs on the radio, but most importantly are liable source informed me that they put on a great show. Needless to say the concert wasamazing! Craig Finn, the lead singer is a short middle-aged man with a smallbeer belly, and has a receding hair line. He wears a button up shirt, that has all of the buttons buttoned, for lack of better words he presents him self as a huge nerd. With all of that said, I have never been to a live show were the lead singer has so much energy and enthusiasm. Throughout the entire show he was jumping up and down, swinging his arms around in circles and running around the stage. This energy spread to the crowd, who was surprisingly made up of a group of 25-40 year old super fans. After listening to the lyrics to many of the songs I found it to be rather strange that a bunch of middle aged adults would be rockin’ out to songs about sex, drugs and alcohol. I guess I need to get out more… At the concert everyone seemed to know all of the words to the songs, and had just as much energy as Craig Finn. I left the concert giddy and excited about this band, and could not wait to hear their studio albums.

Still being giddy and excited from The Hold Steady concert experience, I was looking forward to listening to their album “StayPositive”. My first impressions of this album left me feeling like I was looking for something more. The album is rather flat. I too heard the Ramones, but also hint of Green Day. The Hold Steady tries to create this punk rock sound, which they did live, but could not do it in the studio. I too liked “Stay Positive” and “Sequestered in Memphis”, however the rest of the songs on the album were just okay, and nothing seemed to really grab my attention. On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it rating scale; I’m going to stay positive with this album and give it a promote it. Only because if you’re planning on seeing one of the best live shows you might want to be familiar with the song lyrics so you can rock on with the rest of the crowd.
Comments:
I enjoy listening to the highlight songs on your reviews. No idea how you have time for a) working all that you do b) listening to music c) REVIEWING that music. You are a machine!!
 
I just remembered. Matt Spengler likes this band and we were planning to go to their show in NYC. He says they start at 9 so we arrive, they are on stage and finishing the last bit of the song and then is like. "We are THE HOLD STEADY. Thanks!! Good night!"
 
That is one of the funniest stories I have ever heard. Sounds like something the MN Cauthorns would do.
 
Have you heard re the Cauthorns + Deniz for the Aiada musical? We get there 'early' and think it's strange that no one is in line. We are like 'great! Let's get our seats.' Doors are shut and the show is going on! It was just before intermission. :)
 
Patrick, you are hilarious. I am reminded of a similar story one of Sarah's friends tells about going to a baseball game just in time to buy a hot dog, drink and peanuts to sit down and miss the final pitch.
 
Did you know that you met Craig Finn at my wedding?
 
Wow!!! I can't remember meeting him.

What is the connection? Massachusetts or Minnesota?

Very cool.
 
I mentioned this to Sarah and she looked at me funny and said "Yeah" like I should have known. I guess I am losing more than just my hair with age.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?