Monday, July 13, 2009

 

Sonic Youth: the eternal

Charlie said: I did not even know Sonic Youth was still together when I heard about their new cd "the eternal". The last song I remember from them was "Kool Thing" so you could say I am not a huge fan.

My favorite music critics (sorry Tina), Jim and Greg, from Sound Opinions really like this cd claiming it had the New York sound. I have a brother in New York and being a fan of him as well I decided to give Sonic Youth a listen.

Apparently I do like the New York sound. It has a distinct heavy rock style lead by a strong guitar. There was also a feel of Lou Reid and the Ramones. I was drawn to the guitar experimentation on many of the tracts. First impressions were positive. I liked "Sacred Trickster" and the follow up track "Anti-Orgasmic". The rest of the album continued to impress.

This cd rocks hard. I would say "the eternal" was dramatic, trippy, hypnotic, and cathartic at some point. On the Tina/Charlie Promote It, Lend It, or Deny It, I would give it an hard rocking Promote It.

Tina said: Over the 4th of July weekend, I was discussing which album Charlie had brought to share, and how I was not looking forward to reviewing the new Semi-Sonic album. I’m embarrassed to admit, but I know realize that Semi-Sonic and Sonic Youth are two completely different bands.

Sonic Youth’s The Eternal is their most impressive collection of tracks. I gathered this after listening to the 30-second clips of other Sonic Youth albums on iTunes. What I like about this album is their grunge rock sound with a mixture of punk. They rock, and they rock hard. The guitar riffs remind me of Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Red Hot Chili Peppers. I enjoy Sacred Trickster, Leaky Lifeboat, and Antenna. This album definitely would be enjoyable while hammering out some intervals at your local track, or in your basement on trainer.

I was surprised with this album, it clearly was not the drawn out whiney sounds of Semi-Sonic, but the rockin’ hard guitar riffs and beats of Sonic Youth. On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it. I too give it a youthful promote it!
Comments:
We rock it hard here in NYC!! Well not me but obviously some people ;).
 
I will make you a copy if you like. NYC has been very good musically to me. I am also a big fan on LCD Soundsystem.
 
Brother, you got all the music enjoyment genes and all the energy genes. Thank you though.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?