Friday, July 10, 2009

 

Wilco: Wilco (the album)

Charlie said: My brother-in-law tells a funny story about the time he went to see Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace with a fanatical friend. This friend was so excited he was shaking with excitement. My brother-in-law hated the movie especially when his friend giggled through-out. Even knowing this story, I was at Target at 8 AM on June 30th to buy Wilco (the album).

Having listened to the album none stop for the past two weeks I can honestly say I am past the giggling stage.

This album offers the listeners a lot. From the opening song, "Wilco", where the band Wilco tells the listeners not to worry about being down, depressed, or hurt, "Wilco loves you baby". Through the heart wrenching "One Wing" where being separated is like being one wing and all you can do is wave bye. To the hopeful "Everlasting Everything" where Wilco's every lasting love is alive. Wilco delivers.

The more I listen to Wilco (the album) the more I see how it mirrors the Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Both albums tell the listeners to sit back and relax and enjoy the show. A show that is well worth the listen.

I like this album so much I have made a copy for my brother-in-law and I giggled when I gave it to him. On the Tina/Charlie Promote It, Lend It, Deny It scale I give it a big Promote It.

Tina said: The Tuesday that Wilco (the album) was released was a very important day in my life, my half birthday. On this day I officially entered my late 20’s. I am now closer to 30, than I am 25. I could have been “under the impression, this isn’t [my] life.” I might have had an opportunity to “dabble in depression.” As this life changing half birthday approached, I realized that I had nothing to worry about, because after listening to the title track of Wilco (the album), Wilco (the song) I knew that “Wilco, will love [me] baby”.

Wilco (the album) carries the classic Wilco sound throughout the album. Jeff Tweedy did not try to reinvent their sound; they still use light guitar distortion, and a consistent melody that harmonized with the other instruments. What Wilco (the album) has that is different than the other Wilco albums is a difference in their lyrics. This album speaks the truth about the ups and downs of life (or as I have been referring to in my summer school class, the highs and lows), but continues to remind you that no matter how bad things get there is always a moment of hope. This is shown in the songs “You Never Know”, “Sonny Feeling” and of course the album opener “Wilco (the song)”. This album leaves me with a feeling of happiness, and hope that life is going to get better for us all, because “Wilco will love you baby”.

On Charlie/Tina promote it, lend it, deny is scale, it’s clearly a promote it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?