Monday, September 21, 2009

 

The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency

by Alexander McCall Smith

My dad suggested that I read "The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" touting it as an enjoyable, well written, and with characters I would love. Being a good son, I immediately forgot all sound advise until two months later, at our local library, when I saw under "Staff Recommendations" a book whose title seems familiar.

After reading the back, I remembered my dad's sage advise. I was still reluctant to start a journey that, in the past, has been so disappointing to me. I find mysteries build to a climax that almost always leaves me unfulfilled. But, I dove in.

"The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" niftily avoids this pit fall by not telling one mystery but by crafting Mma. Ramotswe life around the mysteries she solves. And what a life she has. She is a proud woman from Botswana who loves her country. She describes Africa not as a third world country but as beautiful, rich, and ancient. She is not American or every wants to be American. She is strong, smart, and very very fat. I loved her!

This novel is more than a mystery novel. Much, much more and I recommend it.
Comments:
I "accidentally" saw the series on HBO last winter and enjoyed the antics of Mma Ramotswe tremendously. Thanks Charlie for reminding me of her and reminding me to pick up the book(s) at the library as well.
Cheerio,
 
Tahiri
Nice to hear from you. I have not seen the HBO series but I am excited about starting No. 2. Keep in touch!
Charlie
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?