Wednesday, September 02, 2009

 

Travels With Charley

by John Steinbeck

I am not new to the travelogue. I have read several excellent books by Paul Theroux and his journies on trains, I am well versed with Bill Bryson and his hiking travels, and I am even familiar with Robert Pirsig’s motorcycle. But of all the books about travel, none have caught my interest more than John Steinbeck and his dog Charley.

During high school English we were forced to read "Of Mice and Men" and "The Pearl", though both excellent, they brought with them the teacher who assigned them as well as her power over us and created in me a resistance. It was the last Steinbeck I had ever read.

"Travels with Charley" gives polished thoughts to everyday life. For instance, here is a snippet of Steinbeck’s description of what it means to be a Texan:

I’ve studied the Texas problem from many angles and for many years. And of
course one of my truths is inevitably canceled by another. Outside their
state I think Texans are a little frightened and very tender in their feelings,
and these qualities cause boasting, arrogance, and noisy complacency-the outlets
of shy children. At home Texans are none of these things. The ones I
know are gracious, friendly, generous, and quiet.

Travels with Charley is full on thoughtful nuggets like this. Steinbeck is worthy of his reputation and deserves to be read by more than just high school students.

Comments:
Is Charlie a big character? I like the idea of traveling with a dog. Seems like it would a lot tougher now.
 
Steinbeck gives Charley very human like qualities. He uses the dog as a silent muse to describe his own feelings about things.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?