Sunday, November 08, 2009

 

The Pearl

by John Steinbeck

I went to the library last week to get some reading material. I was desperately behind on my reading goal this year and in dire need of some easy, inspiring, good material. I had about ten minutes to find just the right piece of work.

I know exactly why I grabbed The Pearl. After reading Travels with Charley and loving it, I promised myself that I would read more by John Steinbeck. The Pearl seemed like a good place to start.

I could have sworn I read this book in high school, but like so many things, I remembered nothing about the book. It was beautiful. A self proclaimed parable that tackles evil, man, and stepping out of the establishment. Steinbeck paints a hard but satisfying picture of Kino’s life that crumbles with the discovery of the “pearl of the world”.

Steinbeck wants the reader to make their own meaning of this novelette. From my view, I saw the pearl, with the expectations and desire of wealth, brought misery and suffering.

I encourage anyone who has a few hours to read this excellent book.
Comments:
For some reason I don't like reading 'good' books. I think it's because I don't like to be sad and I associate the two together. Sounds like a great subject though, that false promise of happiness through wealth and unintended consequences. Looking forward to Texas too!
 
I think you could definitely make a Buddhist connection with desire for something outside the mind (idea of the future) linked with suffering.

I agree with you about good literature, it evokes strong emotion (good and bad) and can be taxing to read.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?