Tuesday, December 01, 2009

 

Blitzen Trapper: Black River Killer

Charlie said: I am not familiar with extended albums. I think the idea is that during the process of making an album there are leftovers, song that were not selected to be on the album. Blitzen Trapper's last album "Furr" was amazing and I was excited to listen to some of their leftovers.

"Black River Killer", the name sake for the extended album, is an amazing tune. Dark, scarey, yet easy to listen to. It is a complete finished song that is one of my favorite on the album "Furr". Althought the other songs six songs on the extended cd have the same sound, they lack the depth and richness of "Furr". Most songs feel unfinished and lack the craft.

I love Blitzen Trapper, I love "Furr", I do not love "Black River Killers". On the Tina/Charlie Promote it, Lend it, Deny it I give "Black River Killers" a Lend it.

Tina said: I used to despise leftovers. However I have been trying to be less wasteful, and I have learned that leftovers can be a fun, and an enjoyment as you try to craft something from your original meal (i.e. turkey into turkey pot pie). I also know that leftovers can also cause a stench in your fridge, leaving you with an unwanted smell and cleaning task.

I thoroughly enjoyed Blitzen Trappers first course offering with their most recent album titled Furr, so it should go without saying that I to was looking forward to the extended album or the “leftovers”. This album is very easy to listen to, enjoyable and light and dark at time. I like it. While the tracks are not nearly as detailed as Furr, they songs are still catchy. However the songs seem to drift off into the air, and never really finish. Leaving the listener wonder if their still listening to the same song, of if they have moved on to the next track.

While I enjoy these leftovers with songs like Preachers Sisters Boy, and Silver Moon, it’s still an unfinished album, and this I do not enjoy. I enjoyed the first course, and these leftovers did not end up being the magical meal that I anticipated them to be, instead they were just leftovers reheated in the microwave. On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it, I give it a lend it.
Comments:
Not feeling these guys at all. Not sure why but as soon as I hear the songs I want to turn them off.
 
They remind me of Bob Dylan/the Beattles/and Tom Petty. I love them.

How was your trip back to NYC? We now have snow in MN.
 
I had a great time being in SAT for a couple more days, we didn't do much. Trip back was a breeze. Getting excited about the Texas game today, taking it easy.

These guys lyrics are so dark. Awful (for me ;) ).
 
Agreed, the lyrics on Black River Killer is very dark.

I love the song Furr from their previous album. To me this song is about looking for answers an new life. By joining the pack he grows up, leaving his youth behind. The wildness of a wolf relying on instinct, chasing desires, being free.

When he catches a girl he has to let go of his wild lifestyle and settle down but still dreams of being free and wild.

My humble opinion. I love this song.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?