Sunday, December 20, 2009

 

Eating Animals

by Safran Foer

To begin with, this is an excellently crafted more than well written book. Foer makes his points clearly, loud, and based on indisputable facts. He leaves the reader no room for denial.

It is that reason I rated the book as I did (2 out of 5 stars), I was left with the fact that, as a meat eater, I am a contributor to gross animal violence and ecologically damaging farming. I have been living with blinders on, blind to the facts of how the factory farms where putting food on my table.

Eating Animals hit me in the face with the question: do I eat meat and be a participant in an ecological, animal rights disaster or I remove myself from the exploitation of animals and become a vegan.

I read this book knowing I would not change my eating habits but now I know the affects of that decision.
Comments:
What about free range eggs? Is this a scam?

Changing the subject but have you ever thought about signing up with gmail. Honestly it's sweet. It's got a great calendar and I love how it organizes emails. Granted it takes time to train people to use the new email but try it out and see if it's worth it.
 
I eat a lot of hamburger and chicken and I KNOW they don't always kill a cow humanly.. I've seen the ASPCA commercial with the poor cow getting rolled over with a big machine. And the horse who's getting shepherded into a butchery place.. for dog food or was it people food?It was frightened! I don't know how humanely chickens are killed.. Do FISH feel fear like Cows, chickens and horses do? I admit i feel so bad, but what can I do about it? I enjoy my animal derived proteins.. The Asians eat cats, dogs and rats too! They are NOT humanely slaughtered from what I heard.
 
My take from what I have read is that it is the factorization (I just made up that word) of our farms that have created this crisis.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?