Wednesday, January 20, 2010

 

My Own Odyssey: Ulysses (Cyclops)

I am currently on page 346.

A long section that features Bloom and some gents drinking at a pub.  Bloom gets ridiculed for his beliefs (being a Jew) and is run from the bar. 

Two sections I liked:
The figure seated on a large boulder at the foot of a round tower was that of a broadshouldered deepchested stronglimbed frankeyed redhaired freely freckled shaggybearded widemouthed largenosed longheaded deepvoiced barekneed, brawnyhanded, hairylegged ruddyfaced sinewyarmed hero.
and:
They believe in rod, the scourger almighty, creator of hell upon earth and in Jacky Tar, the son of a gun, who was conceived of unholy boast, born of the fighting navy, suffered under rump and dozen, was scarified, flayed and curried, yelled like bloody hell, the third day he arose again from the bed, steered into haven, sitteth on his beamend till further orders whence he shall come to drudge for a living and be paid.
The first made me laugh.  I believe it is a mockery of Homer and the Odyssey.  The second also made me laugh, mocking the Lords Prayer.
Comments:
I start on this tonight!
 
So far this is my favorite section. I liked the parts you mentioned and also was amused by the "scientific and journalistic" interpolations. This section seems easier to follow. I'll finish it tonight..... maybe.
 
I did finish this section last night. It turned dark as the potential violence against erupted. I read there were parallels with Bloom and God/Jesus and this was made clear in the last part of this section. The one-eyed vs the clear eyed was easier to follow maybe because the cyclops story is so well known. I read in the book Ulysses and Us that many of the references in Ulysses were part of the popular culture at the time it was published and hence it was difficult but acessable to the common man.
 
Excellent take on the section mom. I too enjoyed this section. It is interesting to note when the book was written (early 1900's) before WW II. This was the second section where anti-Semitism is expressed.
 
He recognized the anti-jewish sentiment early.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?