Saturday, January 23, 2010

 

My Own Odyssey: Ulysses (Nausicaa)

I am currently on page 383.

I now know why this book was banned in the US.  Bloom is hanging out at the sea shore watching three sisters watch over twins.  Bloom watches one (Gerty) while fondling himself to orgasm.

I am wary to say this but this was my favorite sections so far.  Not only did I understood most of what was happening but I was impressed with the way Joyce dissected Blooms thoughts and the beauty he does it in.  For example this section struck me:

Longest way round is the shortest way home.  And just when he and she.  Circus horse walking in a ring. Rip van Winkle we played. Rip: tear in Henny Doyle’s overcoat. Van: breadvan delivering. Winkle: cockles and periwinkles. Then I did Rip van Winkle coming back. She leaned on the sideboard watching. Moorish eyes. Twenty years asleep in Sleepy Hollow. All changed. Forgotten. The young are old. His gun rusty from the dew.
Very poetic. Bloom thinking about his youth, Molly, and how twenty years have passed.  Everything had changed but the love and his youth have been forgotten.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?