Friday, January 08, 2010

 

Pearl Jam: Backspacer

Charlie said:  I was surprised by the first 10 minutes of this CD. I did not know what I was listening to. I thought that Tina had made a mistake and made me a CD some guys talking about music. My mind was changed after listening to the next track, a live version of The Fixer. It was Pearl Jam talking about music but on the rest of Backspacer they are more than talking about music, they are making it.

I liked this CD more than I thought I would. I am skeptical of bands that have made it. Usually something is lost when musicians have success. It is hard for me to believe Bruce Springsteen still is “Born to Run”. Backspacer is a CD that has some of what made me like Pearl Jam in the 90’s.

Pearl Jam rocks. They have been rocking for over eighteen years and Backspacer has it all. It has the loud angry songs (Gonna See My Friends, Fixer, Supersonic) as well as angst-ridden passionate ones (Just Breathe, Speed of Sound).

On the Tina/Charlie Promote It/Lend It/Deny It scale, I shout: “Promote It!!!”

Tina said:  Picture this: It’s 1994, I stand at a mere four feet 6 inches tall, as my eyes gaze at the alternative section at my local Sam Goody Music Store. The choices are unlimited, as this is the early nineties and alternative music is at it’s high. While staring at the collection, most likely wearing my plaid shirt and converse all-stars, I choose Pearl Jams Vitology. This day was the very day that I started my enjoyment for the band Pearl Jam.

While Pearl Jam has had its ups and downs through out the past years, they still in my mind continue to rock. They demonstrate this ability in their most recent album Backspacer. This album is classic Pearl Jam, they rock, they have mellow moments. Overall they demonstrate their sound and quality of music that they created in the early 90’s. I love the excitement in Gonna See My Friend, The Fixer (which I have added to my workout mix). I also find the melancholy sound of Just Breathe to be very thoughtful almost brings a relaxing but truthfulness to the album.

On the Charlie/Tina promote it, lend it, deny it; I will put on my Converse All Stars and plaid shirt on, as I shout “Promote it”.

As a side not I recently saw Pearl Jam on Austin City Limits and they still got it!
Comments:
I liked 'Just Breathe' and 'The Fixer'. Other ones didn't grab me. Have you watched like 8 hours of TV a day since Jan 1?
 
I have a story for you about Anthony's basketball. I'll call soon.

I have only been watching programs, lots of NFL. So only about 4 hours a day.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?