Sunday, February 07, 2010

 

The Avett Brothers: I and Love and You

Charlie said: Being this is the fourth review I have done in a week I have an excuse for the blandness of this review. Sorry.

I like this album. The first three songs are great. “I And Love And You”, “January Wedding”, and “Head Full Of Doubt/Road Full Of Promise” are a mixture of folk, country, and bluegrass. They rely, like most of the songs on this album, on powerful piano and lyrics.

After some research I found out that this is not the Avett Brothers first album, by my count, at least their seventh. This is the first album from a major label but from my ears they seem to remain true to their country/bluegrass roots adding elements of pop and hillbilly rock. The song “Ten Thousand Words” has a definite southern flavor.

My only complaint is there is not much rocking going on. The emphasis is on the mellow with very few high energy songs. On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it scale I give “I And Love And You” a warm southern promote it.

Tina said: I tend towards gravitate to music that has strong vocals and strong instrumentation. I agree with Charlie when he says that the Avett Brothers does this. Not only do they do it, but also they do it well. There are a variety of instruments used. I am no expert, but I hear banjos, violins, acoustic guitars, and the piano. These instruments provide the listener with a variety and support the lyrics in the songs.

I do however think that they do provide a good mixture of “high energy” songs, with mellow slower songs. After listening to the album multiple times I have decided that the album is a story of a relationship, and the ups and down that a relationship can have. As demonstrated in the mellower songs such as “I and Love and You”, “January Wedding”, “The Perfect Space”. I found myself rocking to their high-energy song such as “Kick Drum Heart”, “Slight Figure of Speech” and “It Goes on and On”. I think that this album is very well put together, it leaves me feeling happy, and I find myself not getting bored or bothered by it. On the Tina/Charlie Promote it, lend it, Deny it scale, I use my heart kick a kick drum and promote it!
Comments:
I like these guys. I usually don't think of folk/country with piano and violin but I guess that's what it is. The guy has a twangy voice which I kind of like too.
 
I am going to pick up a few of their newer albums and give them a try.

How is the weather in NYC? I am seeing some scary stuff.
 
It looks like it is snowing. I'm just chilling in my apartment, just rolled out of bed. The heat works so I'm happy ;).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?