Tuesday, February 02, 2010

 

Grizzly Bear: Veckatimest

Tina Says:  When I received this album was looking forward to listening to it. I had heard great things about it in on the Current, and the band was also a guest on Sound Opinions. I think it should go without saying that I was anticipating the Grizzly Bear album to really roar.

On the initial listen I found myself listening, but often times found my concentration on the album drifting off.
What I like about the album is the bands use of instrumentation. I enjoy the use of the violins, pianos, and other instruments. However the lyrics and the melodies do not back up the potential that the instrumentation
has. It seems as though a lot of thought was given to the song set up but the band members forgot to bring their emotion. This gave the album a boring and almost slow turn around, with the anticipation of when the album was going to be over.

However, with that said this band does have potential. I hear the Fleet Foxes, and possibly the Beatles. On the Charlie/Tina promote it , lend it, deny it scale, it’s a lend it.


Charlie said: Having little inside knowledge of the hip music scene, I rely on musical leads from podcasts like Sound Opinions and friends. A friend and fellow teacher, Anne, lent me Grizzly Bear's newest album, Veckatimest, and gave it a strong recommendation.

Upon first listen I saw very little to be excited about. Most songs remind me of bad sixty’s music. Maybe not quite as bad as Tiny Tim’s "Tiptoe Through the Tulips", maybe. I got to be honest; I did not listen to the whole album. Several songs, ok, all the songs except maybe “Two Weeks", "All We Ask" and "Foreground", I skipped. I listened to the first minute and a half and just skipped ahead.

When I think of a Grizzly Bear, I envision of a wild ferocious beast who does not take shit from anybody. What a disappointment. On the Tina/Charlie promote it , lend it, deny it scale, it is a deny it all the way. A deny it then flush it.
Comments:
I got to say I liked 'two weeks'. Not enough to listen to it more than once but the song and the video I appreciated. So glad we got a break from wrestling with 'Ulysses'.
 
The good news is I have only three more sections of Ulysses to go.
 
I hope you've learned a lesson. Never read a good book!
 
Never again bro!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?