Thursday, February 04, 2010

 

Ida Marie: Fortress ‘Round My Heart

Tina said: The Norwegians have brought us the Norwegian sweater, lutefisk, leffsa, Luther College, and now Ida Maria. Ida Maria a 20 something rising star out of Norway. She demonstrates her musical maturity as she rocks with her second studio album titled Fortress ‘Round My Heart.

I first purchased this album when I heard that one of the critics on Sound Opinions rated this album as the number one album of 2009. The other critic rated his number one album of the year, as one of my least favorite albums of the year. At this point I was hoping for a 50% success rate.

Well, my buddy was right; Ida Maria’s Fortress ‘Round My Heart is a fantastic album. This album rocks, the heavy guitar riffs, the fast past and the anger/excitement that comes across in her voice. I think that this album was created after a serious relationship break-up. As she expresses her feelings about this in songs such as - Oh, My God, I’m the Queen of the World, and Stella. I like the fast paced movement of many of the songs, and especially found myself enjoying “Oh My God” and “Louie”. I imagine that “I like You So Much Better When You’re Naked” is a hit at college campus’ everywhere. On the Tina/Charlie lend it, promote it, deny it scale, I stand up on top of the bar in Decorah, Iowa as I shout promote it!

Charlie said: This is how it works. One morning meeting Tina brings new music to share; the next morning meeting I bring music to share. Tina brings hip new music; I bring the latest from an old artist like Son Volt or Bob Dylan. This last morning meeting I showed up with an album that Tina already owned. What did this mean?

It could have meant that I was getting more in vogue or it could have mean that Tina was getting less in vogue, but I think I know the real reason. It is Ida Maria. She appeals to the old and the new.  She is so good that an older generation of music listeners can hear her angst and passion and be moved. 

In the first song “Oh My God” she hits it. This simple song connects driving drums, straightforward guitar, and a tormented vocalist perfectly.  In “Stella”, Ida Maria plays a husky-voiced prostitute then brings down the energy level but not enjoyment with “Keep Me Warm”. “I Like You So Much Better When You’re Naked” is a great song. Hell, this is a great album.

On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it scale I too shout “Oh, My God Promote It”!!!
Comments:
She's good. You both are right, lots of energy. I can't help but think about the long island version everytime I hear the song... 'Oh my gawd'
 
Excellent! Birthday is right around the corner.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?