Monday, February 01, 2010

 

My Own Odyssey: Ulysses (Circe)

I am currently on page 613.

At least I could read most of the words in this section, most of the words.

Circe is written as a play. A play that is mostly a series of hallucinations as the drunken evening of Bloom and Dedalus is coming to a conclusion. Bloom is deified, and then glorified in a bizarre portion where he eventually gives birth to eight children.

Steven is so drunk at one point he grossly overpays a whore eliciting Bloom to take possession of all Steven’s money.

Reading this section I got the feeling of the 1967 television show “The Prisoner” where it was never clear what was real and what was in the mind. As disturbing as it was, it was an easy read and I breezed through the section. The only meaning I pulled out this section was for the first time, Bloom and Dedalus were interacting almost as father (Bloom) and son (Dedalus).
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?