Thursday, August 12, 2010

 

LCD Soundsystem: This is Happening

Tina says:
I wasn’t as excited about the new LCD Soundsystem as my rock critic friend Charlie was. Rumor has it he didn’t sleep the night before it was released. On release day he was on iTunes at 12:01, downloading the album, and at 8:30am he had already memorized all of the lyrics and melodies of the album. I, on the other hand waited for my album to arrive on a burned copy in exchange for a cup of coffee.

After receiving the album, I placed it in the CD player of my car. It hasn’t left my car since. This is Happening is a great windows down, volume up, summer album! I can’t get enough of how the songs build and the beats continue to build throughout each song. The volume was up and I was startled in Dance Yrself Clean, when it switched from the silent and calm rhythm to the bass driven drive in the middle of the song. It literally made me jump! I like the instrumentation and the strange sounds that this band creates throughout the album. This album has a good variety of sounds, and beats to keep the listener engaged. I will admit that sometimes this genre of music tends of leave me a little board, as the songs continue to drag on and on. I didn’t feel this with this album. I enjoy and continue to find new sounds and beats in songs like Pow, Pow, Somebody’s Calling Me, and All I want. LCD Soundsystem is Happening! I think that is should go without saying that on the Tina/Charlie deny it, promote it, lend it scale….I give it an enthusiastic promote it!

Charlie says: 
Well Tina, I did stay up the night before but I did not download it from iTunes, I wanted a hard copy so I was at Target at 12:01 am to buy a copy.

A little history, I first heard LCD Soundsystem on Sound Opinions.  Jim and Greg had just selected LCD Soundsystem's Sound of Silver as one of the top albums of 2007 and on a whim, I bought it.  It blew me away.  After waking from my techno haze I purchased LCD Soundsystem self titled album and again was head bobbing until my neck was sore.  So yes I was a bit excited when This Is Happening was due out.

This is a great summer album, full of energy, humor, and just great music. 

James Murphy writes songs that make people want to move.  On their first album, "Movement" stands out as a fist pounding call to dance.  "All My Friends", on their second album, continued the call.  And now on This is Happening "Drunk Girls" does not disappoint. 

Along with Murphy's gift to write music to dance to, he also writes funny sarcastic songs.  Songs like "Losing My Edge" which addresses getting old and being made insignificant by the youth.  Then "North American Scum" dealing with how Americans are perceived around the world.  Now "You Wanted A Hit" is a song about writing a song.

LCD Soundsystem has some just flat out great music.  It started with "Daft Punk Is Playing At My House", continued with "Someone Great", and now with "All I Want" and "I Can Change".  I few lines: 
I love this album, an album that on the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it scale I give a promote it.
Comments:
Enjoyable review. Listening to it there is a lot of 'Talking Heads' sound there.
 
I also hear the Cars and Bowie.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?