Thursday, September 16, 2010

 

Mumford and Sons: Sign No More


Charlie says:  The band name derives from singer/guitarist Marcus Mumford, the rest of the band member are not actually his sons but, as the as the name implies, they make one big happy family.

It surprises me that a debut album could sound so clean, finished and deep.  The title track "Sigh No More" directly quote Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, maybe implying that love is but one aspect of a relationship and not that important.  I don't really know. Regardless, the song starts off with group harmonies straight from the Fleet Foxes and builds in intensity, as almost all Irish songs do, to a loud urgent cry of suffering.

The best song on the album is "Little Lion Man" about someone taking the responsibility for his past behavior.  I love the use of instruments, especially the banjo, which some day I will learn how to play.

If there is a complaint to be made about this album it is the construction of each song from soft harmonies to high energy which makes each song seem similar.

On the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it scale I loudly and energetically give it a promote it.

An extra note, Nate's favorite Mumford and Sons song is "Thistle and Weeds".

Tina says:  Mumford and Sons is a classic "Tina Album". They're heavy on the instruments, meaningful lyrics and a little twang. Many of the tracks on the album start off slow with a small amount of instrumentation, and then it builds as the song reaches the climax of the song. I enjoy the speed of the music and the excitement that it brings as you continue to listen. The banjo adds movement to each song, and brings in feeling. Each time the lead singer repeats and as something important to say, the banjo is brought in as a tool to exaggerate the feeling and the importance of that section of the song. This is especially true in, The Cave and Little Lion Man.

I too hear the Fleet Foxes, The Avett Brothers, and it should go without saying that there is a huge bluegrass influence. Little Lion Man is a great song, however my favorite song on the album is Roll Away your Stone. The beginning of the song starts out with a 17th century English waltz, and then continues to build throughout the entire song.

While I do not know nearly enough about Shakespeare but I do think that many of the songs follow the Shakespearian theme. Love, tragedy and death. I especially hear this in White Blank Page (could it be Romeo and Juliet?).

All and all I hear some really great things that I enjoy about this album, and on the Tina/Charlie promote it, lend it, deny it scale, this album is clearly a “I will tell the night” and promote it!
Comments:
Wow I like this album. These guys really crank it up. Tell Nate I like the thistle song too.
 
Mumford and Sons are coming to concert soon. For some reason I don't think I will make it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?