Tuesday, January 18, 2011

 

Ben Folds and Nick Horsby: Lonely Avenue

Lonely AvenueCharlie said:  I like Ben Folds, at least I though I did.  He is quirky and nerdy but never took himself too seriously which made listening to him music fun.  "Brick" is a great song about a bad relationship.  I kind of feel for the guy in that song.

What happened on "Lonely Avenue" is inexcusable.  Ben Folds has taken himself way too seriously.  First by adding Nick Horsby to co-author lyrics.  Nick Horsby, who can write a great novel, is a disaster as a lyricist.  For example, "Levi Johnston's Blues", a song about Sarah Palin's brother-in-law Levi Johnstson, has the chorus, and I am not making this up:
"I'm a fucking redneck I live to hang out with the boys, play some hockey, do some fishing, and kill some moose.  I love to shoot the shit and do some chillin' I guess.  You fuck with me and I'll kick your ass." 
Are you serious Nick?  That is the best you can do?  Wow!

Ben Folds continued his new found importance by adding not just violins but an entire orchestra to each song.  So imagine if you can, the lyrics I just quoted surrounded by Ben Folds' piano and an entire string section.  More than nauseating.

There are bad albums and there are bad albums.  This album has me questioning why I ever liked anything Ben Folds ever did.  I may purge my entire library of Ben Folds after this.  On the Tina/Charlie Promote it, Lend it, Deny it scale, I, with vomit in my mouth, give this a Deny it.

Tina said:  I was eagerly anticipating the new Ben Folds Album for two reasons.
1. I have to admit that was I was disappointed with the previous album “Way to Normal” and was looking forward to another great album like my previous favorites (rockin’ the suburbs and songs for silverman).
2. I really like Nick Hornsby and I was hoping that Nick was going to kick Ben in the rear end and tell him to start writing good music.
I was quickly disappointed.

The album opens up with a song titled “Working Day” it begins as a heavy dose of self-esteem. With the lyrics starting off as “I can do this, really I’m good enough” and continues with “I’m a genius really I’m excellent. Better than them I kick their ass'.” However it quickly spins off into an almost depressing section…..that says “I’m a looser I’m a poser, It’s over, I mean and I quit, everything think I write is shit, hey, hey it’s a working day.” I get it, work is tough, and it’s a slam to your self-esteem when other people are critical of your work. The negativity on this song makes me want to cringe. It continues with the next song on Picture Window, where the lyrics are “hope is a bastard, hope is a liar, a cheater and a tease, hope comes near you kick it’s back side, got no place in days like these.” While I enjoy the instrumentation of this song, and reminds me of classic Ben Folds. I can’t seem to get away from the negative attitude. Album continues on a downslide, with “Levi’ Johnston’s Blues”…

However, after the worst song ever wrote in the entire world, (Levi Johnston’s Blues) the album has some good moments. It’s Ben, his piano and a string orchestra. This is the Ben I do enjoy, the heavy instruments, and the sappy, meaningless lyrics. If you don’t try to comprehend the lyrics, this album is rather enjoyable. The use of violins complements the piano and Ben makes good use of the synthesizer.

On the Tina/Charlie, promote it, lend it, deny it scale. I would like to shoot the shit with my redneck friends and lend it.
Comments:
Yes I've experience this as well. It's happened with Tim Burton whose movies I saw and we just special to me.

Then I saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and it was so bad, such a sell out, so weird in a bad way it made me reevaluate everything about Tim Burton.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?