Monday, January 17, 2011

 

Free Energy: Stuck on Nothing

Charlie said:  I am a huge James Murphy fan.  I was introduced to LCD Soundsystem in 2007 after I heard a Sound Opinions episode of the top albums of 2007 and both Jim and Greg listed "Sound of Silver", LCD Soundsystem's second album, in their top ten albums of that year.  I took a chance, and using a gift card from my brother, bought the album.  The rest is history, they are my favorite band. 

Why am a talking about LCD Soundsystem and James Murphy when I should be reviewing Free Energy?  Well, Free Energy's first Album, "Stuck on Nothing", was released by the DFA record label that was founded by, you guessed it, James Murphy.  Taking another chance and using another gift card, I down loaded the album off iTunes.

This was not nearly as rewarding of an experience.

Free Energy is playful, poppy, some what energetic but mostly boring.  Every song reminds me of a 1980's Cars pop song.  I like the Cars, they remind me of summers driving up to Stinky Fall to go tubing down the Comal River.   Maybe that is the problem.  Free Energy doesn't remind me of anything.  They just remind me of the $7.99 I wasted on iTunes.

On the Tina/Charlie Promote it, Lend it, Deny it scale, I, disappointingly, give Free Energy a Deny it.

Tina says: When Charlie handed me this album at coffee, and told me it was produced by James Murphy of LCD SoundSystem. I was warned that Free Energy was nothing like LCD SoundSystem. This is True.

Many of the songs on Stuck on Nothing are very poppy, catchy and easy to enjoy. I especially enjoyed Dream City and Bang Pop. They both were mindless feel good songs. The album continues with this theme throughout the album, catchy mindless songs. As I listened to this album I quickly became bored after the first couple of songs. The melodies are very similar and seen to be very repetitive, and this makes for a boring album. I quickly lost interest with this album after the first couple of songs.

Free Energy runs out of energy quickly and on the Tina/Charlie lend it, promote it, deny it scale. I will pass this album along as a lend it.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?