Monday, January 03, 2011

 

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man (Chapter One)

I have almost completed chapter one and find this much more enjoyable than Ulysses.  I actually can follow Stephen's jumps from childhood to college. 

A friend of mine recommended that I first read this book before trying to tackle Ulysses and I now see why.  Stephen, one of the two main characters in Ulysses, is the hero in this book.  We see how he feels unconnected with the world around him, how he feels confused.

When he was quizzed if he kissed his mother good night and they boys laughed at both of his answers, he could not figure out the correct answer. 

I have felt that way before, searching for an answer where there was none.
Comments:
I am really loving this book and finding it very interesting. I do have to use the notes because so many of the words are slang Irish words.
 
Interesting choice, I thought Ulysses would turn you off of Joyce.
 
Mom and I are going to read the top 100 novels according to Random House. It is a good thing if only for getting me to read Midnight's Children last year.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?