Thursday, June 09, 2011

 

Presentation of a Student

It is traditional at the ALC for each graduating senior to pick a teacher to present them at graduation.  It is a special time for the teacher who get to say something about a student whom they connected with, as well as for the students get a chance to publicly receive praise. 
Being the mathematics teacher I rarely have the opportunity to introduce a seniors. Who would you pick, a mathematics teacher or your physical education teacher?

I had the opportunity to present a senior yesterday.  Here were my words:


I have the honor to present a very deserving senior, Brianna.

When Bre first asked me to speak for her I felt pleased. Bre had always done well in my classes, asking great questions and staying caught up. But it just dawned on me why she wanted me to speak for her. It is because I look exactly like John Cena.

Bre has been a part of this school for two years and has shown traits that make her an excellent student. She is smart, independent, and did not ever believe a word I said in class. She made me prove everything we talked about. She would look at me not with puzzlement, but with doubt, like it was my job to defend mathematics (which it is!!!). She would always jump on any mistake I made as proof of why she could not believe me. Bre, you are what is called a skeptic and is the reason I enjoyed you so much in class.

Being a skeptic requires those around you to be accurate and precise, and allows for depth of understanding.  This can be a great characteristic to have.  It can help you dig beneath the surface to find the root of what you are searching for.  I hope you continue to be a skeptic and truly understand what is around you.

Bre has big plans after graduation. She plans to attend Ridgewater College in Wilmar, MN to pursue a Psychology degree.

I am going to remember Bre for many reasons:

• The way she would say she could not do something but always did.

• How she would question me about everything!

• And the way she always acted like she hated me but in the end, she didn’t.

Bre, good luck, I wish you the best with your life moving forward.

Comments:
lucky student . It is rare that a teacher understands that skepticism can be a valuable asset in life. I've heard that all good scientists must view untested answers with skepticism.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?