Monday, August 22, 2011

 

Drive-By Truckers: Go-Go Boots

Charlie said:  This is another band that I have my good friend Tina to thank for introducing me to.  She first let me listen to "Brighter Than Creations Dark" their seventh album and I was hooked.  I have since added several of their albums to my collections and each offers excellent listening.

There are many things I love about the Drive-By Truckers especially the way each song tells a story with a beginning, middle, and an end.  This is an essential element in country music and underutilized in pop.  The Drive-By Truckers are a little of both.  They remind me at times of another great band that blended country and rock, Uncle Tupelo. 

Some of my favorites songs on this album include:  I Do Believe, Ray's Automatic Weapon, and Used to Be A Cop.  Used to Be A Cop is a perfect example of the Drive-By Truckers, the driving drums push this song forward as the whining guitars builds the song creating a moving sad story.

I love this album, on the Tina/Charlie deny it, lend it, promote it scale, with my Go-Go Boots on I promote it!

Tina said: Drive By Truckers (DBT) is a band that I never expected that I would enjoy, but with each studio release and a couple of live shows, I enjoy them even more.

One thing that DBT do best is tell a story within their songs. I like this. I also enjoy how the DBT have a nice mix of country twang. The lead singers voice contains a lot of twang, and reminds me of the country music I grew up listening to (Don Williams, Loretta Lynn, Johnny Cash, and Willie Nelson). While the DBT have a good balance of rock and country, which makes it very enjoyable to listen to. I too enjoy, I Do Believe, Used to Be A Cop but I also enjoy Everybody Needs Love, and the Thanksgiving Fliter. This song is a good example of a story about a family gathering around the table for a Thanksgiving dinner. The thoughts they have about other family members, and the struggles families have together when they gather in large groups.

Great stories, great music, great album...on the Tina/Charlie promote it, Lend it, Deny it, scale...promote it!
Comments:
These guys are good. Thanks
 
I've just discovered your google+ posts. I'll check them out this weekend.
 
Don't feel any obligation to watch them. I'll sink you bro ;).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?