Friday, June 22, 2012

 

The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand


I read this book because, while listening to the radio, I heard a politician describe himself as someone who ascribes to Ayn Rand’s Objectivism. I wanted to learn what inspired this person.

First, here is what I enjoyed about the book: Objectivism is an appealing ideal, I like having the convictions to follow one’s own path regardless of where collective society wants us to go. I laughed out loud when the Gallant Gallstone was described. Finally, I am inspired by people who follow their convictions to the end.

Here is what I did not enjoy about the book: WAY TOO LONG, I believe the book could have been a third the length and it still could have shared its ideas. I was shocked and disturbed by the rape scene. Why? The book did not appeal to me stylistically. Too many scenes where people just stared at each other and somehow knew what each other were thinking. Finally, Roark was too serious, he did not even smile.

It was ok. I would recommend reading it for the social importance.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?