Friday, January 04, 2013

 

Henderson the Rain King

by Saul Bellows


This novel has so many things that I love.  It has a quirky self-absorbed main character, humor, a twist, and an uplifting message. 

Henderson is a man in turmoil.  He is tortured by an inter dialog of “I want, I want, I want!” but he does not know what he wants.  His journey to Africa is to find out this answer. 

He meets many important people along the way, his guide Romilayu, the Arnewi, and finally the King Dahfu.  Each experience brings him closer to the answers he is looking for.

Saul Bellows hit this one out of the park mixing humor and touching insight.  It is a book that is deeper than what it seems like on the surface.  I was like looking at a photo by Robert Adams that wells up emotion without the viewer knowing exactly why.   

I highly recommend this book!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?