Sunday, January 13, 2013

 

Week Two, "I will run 500 miles. . ."

Great running week, not only did I get four runs in, but I also had a few mental breakthroughs.  First the runs:

Wednesday:  I took the night off swimming (a breakthrough in itself) and took Michael to soccer practice at the ALC.  After I dropped him off, I ran 3 flat miles.  We had a warm up in MN and I was WAY over dressed.  I was sluggish and walked a lot but when I was done, I had a chance to watch Michael play soccer.  That was great fun.  I learned that wearing the correct clothes is paramount. 

Friday:  I took the night off swimming again (what has gotten into me?) and ran my usual 3.1 mile route.  I ran the whole time (awesome for me!) without music and thought about what I was doing and why.  I am running to get exercise and feel good not to be fast.  I want to be strong not injured.  This got me thinking about my running technique.  I am not a running coach but my swimming background gives me some hints about how I want to train.  I know that with my swimmers I have to keep reminding them to slow down and do things right.  I did the same thing while I was running and tried to feel my feel land under me rather that in front of me.  I pushed my chest out slightly and tighten my core.  This help me greatly and made this one of the best runs of the year so far.  I need to keep reminding myself why.

Saturday:  I ran the same route (3.2 miles this time) but waited until too late to get started.  I did not leave for my run until after 10 PM at night.  This made the cold that much colder.  I was extremely hungry when I finished.  I ate an apple with peanut butter and some corn chips.  Not the best snack but I felt I needed some food.

Sunday:  After I dropped Anthony off at Afton Alps to teach snowboarding, I stopped by Afton State Park.  There was an organized run going on at the time, The Sasquatch Shuffle.  Fun to see so many people out running.  I ran a short (1.8 mile) loop mostly because of the cold and how the fact that I ran not 10 hours earlier.  The conditions were terrible, we had had some unseasonably warm weather which made the trails icy and torturous to run on.  I went slowly but kept moving the whole time. 

Week Total:  11.1 miles
Yearly Total:  19.3 miles (+.1 over goal!)
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?